Now accepting new students!
- Ages 5+
- Beginner up through intermediate
- Lessons are in southwest Streamwood–convenient to most of Elgin, South Elgin, Bartlett, and surrounding communities.
- Availability is primarily on Monday and Tuesdays
Contact me for a free trial lesson!
I’ve been working this month on updating both the site and our facebook page to be more useful resources for you! You might notice that the menu on the sidebar has been streamlined. I’ve updated our Policies and Studio Distinctives page, and put Curriculum and Instrument guides where they’re easy to find. I’m also starting an FAQ page, where I plan to answer a common question on a weekly basis. And don’t forget to check out the links to our fabulous local shops and orchestras!
My goal with all this is twofold. First, to provide information more clearly for prospective students. There’s a lot that goes into beginning a stringed instrument, and I’ve attempted to put the most important information where it’s easy to find and easy to understand. Second, I’ve often wanted to have a better way for sharing info with current students-insightful blog links, practice tips, fun youtube videos. Facebook is made for that kind of thing but I haven’t been utilizing it, so I want to make more of a habit to get on and share things that can enrich learning. I’ll still use the website for announcments, and hopefully also for more in-depth things I want to share.
As always, I welcome your feedback, and I hope this is a help!
Finally got my computer back online….here are the details of our winter performance!
- This Saturday, Feb. 13, at 10 am; arrive 5-10 minutes early to tune.
- Location: Christian Fellowship Church in Itasca: 152 E. Devon Ave. It is east of Rohlwing, 290, and Park Blvd., and west of Arlington Heights Rd.
- You do not have to dress up–it will be a very informal performance, primarily for each other although if you want to bring guests that is also fine. It should last about an hour, and we’ll be making a point to make it interactive so you can learn from each other. Clearly, not like our usual recitals–although I’m quite excited about it and if it goes well we might start adding something like this into our regular studio calendar! :)
Layug String Studio Recital
Saturday, June 6, 7 pm
Assembly Hall at Friendship Village
Please arrive by 6:45 for tuning and final prep. Please remember your music! :) Also remember that parking is sometimes difficult, so please allow extra time as needed!
Piano rehearsals will be on Wednesday, June 3 from 9 to noon, and Thursday June 4 from 4 to 7:30. Rehearsals will be at Mrs. Um’s office in Schaumburg Christian School (same location as my old office). Extra rehearsals may be arranged directly with Mrs. Um as needed.
Please remember to bring your check for Mrs. Um to the piano rehearsal, as well as any outstanding recital fees.
Finally, please let me know what you are planning for summer lessons, so we can make any schedule adjustments accordingly! I will be taking off the week after recital, but otherwise do not have any specific times off planned.
Thanks! Looking forward to it!
Here’s what’s coming up as we move to recital!
April 21: Not an official studio event, but three of our musicians are playing their first trio gig at Friendship Village’s art show! It’s from 6 – 8pm and open to the public, so it would be great to go support them!
April 27 – May 1: no lessons as I will be gone.
May 4: New studio rates begin. Details were in your email; please let me know if you have any questions.
May 25: Memorial Day–will probably to reschedule Monday’s lessons to later in the week if possible. This will be the last week of our practice contest and we’ll make sure to add up points for music awards.
Week of June 1: recital rehearsals with piano. Schedule and payment details tbd but I am thinking of consolidating to one official practice day, with the option to schedule a second independently….open to thoughts on this!
June 6, 7 pm: Studio recital at Friendship Village!🙂
Week of June 8: Summer lessons begin.
One other thing to be aware of is recital audition season. Elgin and Schaumburg youth orchestras both hold their auditions near the end of the school year; check the websites (linked on the sidebar) for exact dates. Those who participate in this can tell you it’s a really great learning experience, and I think fun too! I’ve been to concerts for both and they do a really nice job. In short–I really encourage each student to consider participating, and I am happy to help you prepare for the auditions. Most of the time the recital repertoire can easily serve for audition material as well.
Our 2015 recital date is set! We will be playing at Friendship Village on Saturday, June 6 at 7pm. We will be starting to choose pieces toward the end of March/early April.
Please let me know when your spring break is, if you are planning to take any time off lessons in March. I will be teaching across the spring break season, though it’s possible I’ll be taking a week of vacation in late April.
I feel like I’ve had less chance to communicate with some of you parents this year and would love to touch base over the next few weeks. Please let me know if there is a preferred day/time to give you a call–my easiest times are mid-afternoon or late evening when my babies are sleeping. Overall I’ve been very pleased with progress, so no worries. 🙂
Have a great week!
Hi all–just a couple quick things.
- I am tentatively planning our recital date to be Friday night, June 5. I will be setting up the venue soon, so please let me know if for any reason that date does NOT work for you. Also, I would love your opinions on which you prefer–a more formal venue (a la Friendship Village) or a more relaxed venue that we can do a reception (like last year). It’ll depend what’s available, of course, but I’d love to know what you guys value as I set it up.
- Many of the students are accumulating a lot of Music Points from their practice🙂 Just a reminder, if you want to redeem Music Points, please let me know in the lesson so we can count off how many you have, and then please email me if you don’t mind so I remember to send you the credit! Often when I go home it’s into the bedtime whirlwind and I try to get back to my teaching notes in a timely fashion, but sometimes I forget…as some of you know…so please do not ever feel bad reminding me :)
- Related to that, there is now a Music Picks page up on the sidebar with a ton of ideas for great music you can choose with your points. You are not limited to what’s there but there is a ton of good stuff there if you need any ideas!
Thanks so much–a wonderful weekend to you all!